Sunday, October 19, 2008





Traditions! Tevye the milkman from "Fidler on the Roof" lamented the loss of tradition in his culture and time. Traditions can be important to families. Have you established any traditions as a family? One of our favorite Fall traditions is carving pumpkins as a family. Each year as long as I can remember and the kids can remember we have carved pumpkins as a family. Why? Because it's fun! We clear the kitchen table off, cover it with newspaper, get out the favorite carving tools and everybody goes to work. When the kids were little they would get to sit in middle of the table so they could handle all the gook out of the pumpkins. This year, Maddox, our grandson got to experience that. Hope handling all that gook doesn't affect him too much, but if so we are saving up for his counseling! It is fun to see the different designs everyone comes up with. Dad, that's me, gets the job of cutting the top out of each pumpkin. Why? Because I am an experienced pumpkin top cutter outer! If ever I need a second career, I have one ready made as I know there must be a great demand for those who cut the top out of pumpkins. Sometimes our kids both big and small don't seem to get into the tradition until the pumpkins are on the table and the knives begin to fly. Then the stories of pumpkins of the past begin to emerge and soon laughter fills the room. My wife is the queen of tradition. She loves it. And I am so glad she keeps all of us moving in that direction, otherwise, we would just be a bunch of couch potatoes wasting another Saturday afternoon. As the holidays approach I hope you will take a look at your family traditions. If you have some keep them going, if you don't consider establishing some fun things to do together as a family. Need ideas? See Kathy as she has a wealth of ideas when it comes to fun things like this. Here are a couple of pics of Pumpkin Fest 2008 at the Mullican house!

1 comment:

PJ King said...

I see you've put up some posts. I'll add you to Google Reader.